Local government and planning are highly specialised areas of the law. Michael Young is one of only a small number of NSW Law Society accredited specialists in Local Government and Planning. Michael and Jonathan, with the assistance of Sarah, form an unrivalled expert team in local government and planning law across the Far North Coast. Our team are the legal experts of choice for town planners and consultants in the region.
We act for individuals seeking development consent for minor developments and additions right through to some of the largest and most active developers in the Northern Rivers and the Far North Coast.
In relation to local government matters we regularly act in relation to:
- Land and Environment Court Class 4 civil enforcement proceedings on behalf of local councils
- Conducting local court prosecutions for local councils on a wide range of matters including companion animal offences
- Acting for individuals in relation to local court prosecutions
- Acting for individuals concerning development orders issued under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act
- Provision of a wide variety of specialised advice to local councils on matters concerning local government including privacy, investigation and prosecution guidelines and internal reviews
In relation to planning law we regularly act in relation to:
- Advising developers and property owners in relation to planning law issues such as permitted development, existing uses and developer contributions
- Reviewing development applications (including modification applications) before lodgement
- Making submissions and representations to local councils regarding particular developments and in relation to zoning proposals
- Advising local councils on various planning law issues and controls
- Commencing Land and Environment Court proceedings on behalf of developers and property owners concerning refusal of development or imposition of conditions
- Advising in relation to and preparing objections to development applications
- Advice on and preparation of planning agreements